Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Daddy

Growing up and still to this day I had/have a wonderful loving daddy. Our relationship was that unbreakable, tight father/daughter bond. When I was young my daddy would drink, he tells this story with tears in his eyes, I was probably 5 or 6 years old and my mom and I had gone to church that morning. I don't remember anything about that day or what the preacher said, but I came home and told my daddy that I had prayed for him in church that day. What for, was his response. I told him I prayed he would quit drinking and come to church with us. My daddy did quit drinking and did start going to church with us. He quit cold turkey, never had another drink again and still to this day has not.

As I got older and started playing sports my daddy never missed a game. He attended every single one of them and believe me I could hear him above everyone else. I always sought the approval of my daddy, he was the only one whose opinion really mattered. On the games my team lost, which in basketball was a lot, I would wake up the next morning with a note by my mirror saying how proud he was of me and encourage me for next time. Sometimes I would wake up with messages written on my mirror in my lipstick saying he loved me. At the time I remember thinking, this is my lipstick your using to write those messages, but now those memories are very sweet to me. I wish I had cherished those things like I do now.

Even today my dad will send me cards for Mother's Day and my birthday and Valentine's Day; cards just for me. I love getting those cards, I know he spent time to pick out just the right one and gave it to just me.

I love my daddy and appreciate him far more than I show sometimes. What makes this even sweeter is that I can see Haven having this kind of relationship with her daddy.

0 comments: