Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Lord's Protection

We experienced the Lord's protection on Monday before Christmas. The kids and I were home, the kids taking their nap, I had finally sat down to relax and the door bell rang. I looked out the window and the way the blinds were positioned I could see out, but the man at the door couldn't see in. I didn't recognize the man or the car that wouldn't pull in our drive way, it sat out in front of our house with another man in the driver's seat. So, I didn't answer the door and just sat at the window watching the man and the car. After a few minutes he proceeded to bang, like really bang loudly on the door. I continued to watch him and again he rang the door bell with the loud banging shortly afterward. This happened one more time.

Up until now I hadn't felt threatened or even scared, I just didn't want to answer the door with a strange man standing on the other side. I guess after he decided that no one was home what he really wanted came to head. He tried pulling open our screen door. The door has a lock on it to keep it from flying open when it's extremely windy. After he was met with a locked door he tried even harder to open it and again even harder.

By this time I've come to realize that he wants in our house and the door is not going to hold up much longer, because he REALLY wants in our home. The only thing running through my mind right now is that I have to let him know someone is home and get him off my porch.

I will say I didn't do the smartest thing, but the one thing that came to my mind right away. I opened our front door and coarsely asked him what he thought he was doing. I did scare the crud out of him and he came up with the story he was looking for Jerry. I told him there was no Jerry here and he couldn't leave quick enough.

I ended up calling the Sheriff and told him what happened and he did confirm that there had been home burglaries in our area.

There was also a story on the news this week of a man suspected on burglaries in the area had been caught, they are still looking for his accomplice. The one they caught was not the one at our door, but could be the one they are still looking for. I'm just thankful he didn't get in our house and that I was home and that the Lord protected us.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh my! You are very brave. I'm really glad you posted that, because I like to be prepared for every situation and that gave me one to think about. Next time maybe take a bat to the door with you or something;) I'm so glad that God is in control and that everyone is alright!

Angela Heather Hammond said...

Ohmigosh, Heather! I think I would've been shuttling my kids out the back door. I have always heard it is best to be loud and let people know you are in the house. I was a little shocked at your impulsive action but God really protected you, you're right.

Heather said...

Yea, usually there's no question someone is home, noise wise. But he just happened to stop by when the kids were sleeping and no tv on. And just to make clear there was still another door shut and locked when I opened the door. I didn't fully expose myself, my kids or my house to him.