Thursday, September 4, 2008

I Will Survive

This has been my motto for the past two weeks.

Even now as I sit here to write about what has gone on I'm having troubles finding a starting place.

Last week I had one of those weeks that you do silly things just from pure exhaustion. I actually went to take a shower and forgot to take clothes off. Someone, please wake me up! I might need to start taking some caffeine. Then, I'd just be a jittery, exhausted person.

On Friday was 5 years since we lost our precious Karis Rose. As every year the Lord revealed more of Who He is to me. On the day we were remembering our little girl a wonderful, sweet woman from church lost her husband. I hurt for her as I remembered the day we lost Karis.

This lady was one who so fervently prayed for us after our loss. At the visitation I went to her and hugged on her and we talked about this weekend. Exactly 5 years ago we lost our daughter on the 29 which was a Friday and Labor Day weekend. We buried her on Tuesday because Monday was a holiday.

I proceeded to tell her that we could get together every year and before I could finish my sentence she responded by saying, "rejoice."

Joy, that word has different meanings to different people, but to her I saw where her joy comes from. Her joy comes from the Lord and that is why she can say the word rejoice while at her husband's visitation.

I told Todd I want that kind of joy. I look forward to gathering with her and rejoicing in the lives and deaths of our dear loved ones.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Heather, this was a beautiful post. I thought about you over the weekend. I will just never forget that precious Karis and how much you and Todd loved her even before you ever saw her face. My spirit rejoices in the knowledge that you will kiss that sweet face one day and you will never have to worry about being apart from her again. From now on when I pray for you I will use that word - rejoice! I love you, sister!

Anonymous said...

The Lord is always faithful to bring to you mind when August 29th rolls around. I can still picture Karis in all of her beauty. I am awed at your strength and your ability to rejoice. And somehow it seems so easy and natural to picture her smiling and playing with Jesus. I love you!