Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Where Is He Learning This Stuff?

Two nights ago I was fixing dinner and Todd was sitting at the table and we were talking about the days events. Haven and Jude were playing and Jadon came in and sat down at the table with his Leapster. All of a sudden we hear Jadon say, "9 times 4 is 36."

Upon hearing this Todd and I both stopped talking, looked at Jadon with mouths open very wide and simultaneously said, "what did you say."

He looked up at Todd with an annoyed look on his face, because he was playing a game and he didn't want his frog to fall in the water, and said again, "9 times 4 is 36."

We didn't even know he knew multiplication. And where did he learn it and how random is knowing 9x4. He then told us that 6x11 is 66.

This reminded me of the time when Jadon was 18 months old and we were driving somewhere and he asked me what the octagon said. My mind started searching around trying to remember what an octagon looked like so I didn't look dumb in front of my 18 month old. I guess I was taking too long to answer and he added another hint for me, the red octagon.

Thank you, thank you son for the extra hint and now I know the red octagon says STOP. I remember thinking at the time, my 18 month old son just said octagon and how in the world did he know that shape.

He never ceases to amaze me. He is so smart and he can't wait to start school next year. I am so proud of him.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Yeah and remember that time when he was just barely talking and recognized some big heavy equipment machine from a book he hadn't looked at for months!

Heather said...

Yeah, that was the mini excavator. He pointed it out and said that massive word at 15 months.

Angela Heather Hammond said...

Wow, Jadon! Good job!!! He's going to be a math wiz, I think. Zoe is interested in learning math but I have to leave that one up to preschool. Mommy will likely teach her incorrectly.