Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Fourth and My Birthday

One of my most favorite holidays is the the Fourth of July. I love celebrating my country that I love so much and it is also the time I celebrate my birthday. I have such fond memories of my entire family all gathering together on July 4. We would spend the afternoon having birthday cake and homemade ice cream, then have a cook-out and after the cook-out and it got dark we would shoot off fireworks. While the men in the family were the pyrotechnics the rest of us would ooh and ahh and grandma and I would polish off and entire watermelon, just the two of us. I was very proud of that feat growing up, that we could eat an entire watermelon. I cherish those memories and want to make sure that my kids have a tradition that they look back on as a time they loved.

My birthday started off with a special birthday breakfast. My mom and dad bought chickens in the spring and have been waiting for them to get big enough to provide eggs. The day before my birthday their first chicken laid its first egg. My dad was so proud and his first thought was of me and my birthday and insisted it be my birthday egg. I love my daddy! So mom brought it over that day to make sure I had it in time for breakfast.

It was such a cute little egg. Can you guess which one was from my dad's chicken? They do get bigger as the chickens grow.

On the Fourth, as we have done the last several years, both sides of our families came over and we enjoyed homemade ice cream, pizza and watermelon. Then we enjoyed the fireworks everyone brought to share.
While the boys were setting off smoke bombs the highlight for Haven was finding a frog.
The best thing ever invented in the eyes of Jadon Wallace. He hates loud noises so having ear plugs was an incredible thing for him. All the kids wore them while the fireworks were being shot off.
\


0 comments: