Sunday, July 26, 2009

China Part 3

In the middle of the ministry we took a couple of fun days to go shopping and visit the Great Wall. The Great Wall was amazing and I am so glad I got to experience it in person. The day we chose to visit was a clear, hot day. It was nice to have it clear since many days there are smoggy.
I took this picture on top of one of the towers. Once Blaine, Brian and I saw that we had not reached the highest point we just had to get there. The rest of the group stayed back as we had to reach the top. Yes, my competitive spirit came shining through as I really wanted to keep up with the boys. This is us after reaching the top.
The shopping was definitely a unique experience. I had never bartered before in all my shopping experiences. At first I had to have someone do it for me, but by the end of the day I became more accustomed to the whole process.

I had been told before going over that you can get pearls for very cheap. I wasn't sure if very cheap was also my idea of very cheap, but I went hoping to get a pearl necklace and earrings that I can give Haven on her wedding day. Thanks to Brian and his incredible ability to barter I got a real pearl necklace and earring set for $5.50 American dollars. I consider that very cheap. The Pearl Market where we got our pearls and other goodies.
I also enjoyed some very unique eating experiences. We were fed lunch at the Village everyday, but for evening meals we had to go off site to eat. We did have McDonald's a couple of times and yes it tasted exactly like McDonald's in the States, but we also experienced some local dining.
This place was called Hot Pot and everything was brought out raw and we all had a fondue bowl with seasoned water that we cooked everything in. When the brought out the shrimp our interpreter instructions were to cook the shrimp until the eyes bug out.

0 comments: